My Top 20 pumpkins from 2018-2020

Pumpkin season is upon us, and I have dug out my carving tools, picked my three home grown pumpkins and bought my ticket to the Cairnie pumpkin patch.


This will be my fourth year carving pumpkins, and once again, The Dory, Pittenweem, have kindly offered to display my carvings in their window.


I'll upload my carvings as I finish them to Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. If an image works particularly well, I will upload it to RedBubble, but this year I will be focusing more on display pumpkins than carving to the camera.


Before I start carving, I thought I would have a look back at my favourite carvings from the last three years.


I carve real pumpkins using U gouges and craft knifes. All the designs are my own.


20th


Pumpkin Carving of a Cat
Toast the Tabby Cat, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019



19th


Pumpkin Carving of Crail
Crail, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2020

This was my big carve of last year. Because I got my pumpkin seeds in late, over watered them, and with Covid, I wasn't going out shopping for pumpkins, I was working on an under ripe, waterlogged pumpkin, and I wasn't carving at my optimum level, so I plan to redo this design this year.


18th

Pumpkin Carving of Pamela Coleman Smith

Pamela Coleman Smith, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2018

This was one of my first pumpkin carvings. It was my second attempt at the image, and I went on to win a carving competition with it. It was probably the carving that got me seriously interested in carving, and the reason I am now tired and in pain every October.

17th


Pumpkin Carving of a Hedgehog
Hedgehog, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2020


I had finished pumpkin carving for the year, when a friend of mine prompted me to enter a competition. Although this pumpkin was rotting, so I couldn't get the lighting right, it won me the competition :)


16th


pumpkin carving of a lobster
Lobster, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2020
This image is on RedBubble here.


Last year I was so rusty when I started carving, it took me three goes to get this carving. But I finally got one I was happy with.


15th

Pumpkin Carving of St Monans Church
St Monans Kirk, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


My first attempt at shaded images combining holes all the way through the pumpkin, trying to make the windows look like they were lit up with light coming from within the Kirk.


14th


Pumpkin Carving of a French Horn
French Horn, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2020


Trumpet carved on a Pumpkin
Trumpet, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black 2020

My niece plays the French Horn, so I thought I would have a go at carving one on a pumpkin, as I loved the way the tubes wrap around and form different layers. I thought I would do a whole brass section on one pumpkin, but started with the images being too small and abandoned the project. (The hedgehog ended up on the other side of this pumpkin.)


13th

Celtic Knot carved on a pumpkin
Celtic Knot, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


I think celtic knots are my favouirite things to carve on pumpkins. As long as you have a clear stencil to work with and approach it methodically, very little can go wrong, and when you finish, you can photoshop the image to create some fantastic patterns in many different colours.


12th


Celtic knot Carved on a Pumpkin
Celtic Knot, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.

11th


An all over pumpkin carving using a celtic knot design
360 Celtic Knot, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2021


I have wanted to do an all over carve for a while, and as I had an early ripener in the garden, I took the opportunity to create a 360 celtic knot design. It looked great, but I was in agony after two solid days of carving, so I won't be repeating that again any time soon.

10th

Sunflower carved on a pumpkin
Sunflower, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019

9th


An Owl carved on a pumpkin
Dark owl, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


8th


A skull carved on a pumpkin
Skull, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


7th


A young boy carved on a pumpkin
Hayden, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
Based on a photo by James Palmer

6th

The Dory Logo carved on a pumpkin
Dory Logo, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019


The Dory Bistro in Pittenweem kindly display my pumpkins in their window, so I thought as a surprise for them, I would do their logo.


5th


The Dreel Halls in Anstruther carved onto a pumpkin
Dreel Halls, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


4th

St Andrews Cathedral carved onto a pumpkin
St Andrews Cathedral, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


3rd

A leafless winter tree carved onto a pumpkin
Winter Tree, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


This pumpkin had started rotting when I started carving, so I thought I would choose an easy design. Unfortunately, it wasn't as easy as I thought and took me two days, during which, the pumpkin was going brown and soggy. This is why it is my only pumpkin photographed without the top on since I stopped using real tea lights.


2nd


Lighthouse carved on a pumpkin
Low Light on the Isle of May, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.

This is actually my personal favourite carving, but the Pittenweem West Shore took about four times as long to carve and is much more popular, so I have let that one have first place.

1st


Pittenweem West Shore carved onto a pumpkin
Pittenweem West Shore, Pumpkin Carving, Moti Black, 2019
This image is on RedBubble here.


I grew this pumpkin in my garden and the carve took two days. I've not managed to create something as large or as intricate since, but I hope to do a couple this year.



Happy Carving



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts